Practice Areas


H-1B Non-immigrant Visas for Professional Workers


The H-1B visa allows a foreign national to work in the United States, but only if the sponsoring employer and the foreign national meet certain criteria. The employer must be prepared to pay the prevailing wage for the job, and the job must be one that customarily requires a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum qualification. The foreign national must possess proper qualifications for the job opening, and not be in violation of any immigration rules. The major attraction of the H-1B visa for employers is that it allows a relatively straightforward method to hire bright, well-qualified candidates regardless of their nationality. The attraction for international graduates is the ability to stay on in the United States after graduation while gaining job experience, and the possibility of opening a pathway to permanent residence. For more information follow the links below.

Information for International Students

An international student who would like to qualify for an H-1B visa should carefully choose their field of study, perform to the best of their ability in order to attract the interest of a motivated employer, and learn as much as possible about the application process and the milestones and deadlines involved. If you’re planning to stay, plan smart and start early!

Information for Employers and Human Resource Professionals

As our economy recovers from recession, many human resource professionals have predicted a coming “war for talent” as qualified job candidates become harder to identify and recruit. Knowing what it takes to recruit and retain highly qualified foreign graduates, especially in the technical and professional worker categories, is a core skill in keeping Hawaii’s economy competitive in an increasingly global marketplace for talent. MigrationCounsel can help employers who want to hire smart.


Call MigrationCounsel, immigration attorneys in Hawaii, today for a no obligations consultation on any immigration question you may have at (808) 695-3560 or RSVP to one of our monthly Face-to-Face sessions with the public. This information is intended to be general in nature, and should not be relied upon as legal advice.